Importing a Vehicle to Canada….11/26/2015

Information supplied by the (NAACC) National Association of Automobile Clubs of Canada

As of October 2014 the US Government brought in new regulations for bringing a car, truck, lawn tractor, tractor or any other motorized vehicle across the Border into Canada if it has been purchased in the USA.

In the past you took your information to the US border and they would check to see if the vehicle was stolen etc. and also do what was required to do the transfer directly from their files. This procedure had a 72 hour waiting period before bringing the unit across legally.

The system has now been changed. You must now go to a ‘Broker’ first rather than to Customs initially. The Broker will then do the search and acquire an ITN # to give to the USA border. This procedure still takes the original 72 hour waiting period.

There is a fine for going to the US border before the time period is up plus if you try to go through without going to the broker first, again– you can be fined. To find out which brokers are available go to Automated Export System (AES).

The information that the Broker requires is as follows:

  1. Copy of bill of sale
  2. Copy of the title (must have original title to cross border)
  3. Seller/buyer address, name, phone number
  4. Port of crossing

The usual taxes will apply at the Canadian border as in the past. Do not register your purchase in the US since this will complicate the situation.

What is an ITN/AES number? And why do you need one?

The Automated Export system (AES) is a system used to declare International Exports valued over $2,500.00 USD to the United States Census Bureau.

In effect since April 5th, 2014, the US Census Bureau mandated filling of export information for self-propelled vehicles prior to export, regardless of its monetary value.
   In order to legally exit the US Border for export to Canada, proof of ownership of the vehicle (title) as well as export documents with a valid ITN/AES number must be received at the point of crossing 72 hours prior.

Note: U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) considers a vehicle to be “used” if the legal title of the vehicle is transferred by the manufacturer, distributor or dealership to the purchaser of the vehicle.

Ok… So what are you required to do?

U.S. Citizens, U.S. Residents or U.S. Companies

If you are a U.S. resident or U.S. company exporting a used self-propelled vehicle to Canada, you have TWO filing options:

Option 1*

  1. Obtain an Employee Identification Number (EIN) or DUNS number
  2. Register for AES Direct (if you do not have your own AES software)
  3. File export information on your vehicle
  4. Receive your Internal Transaction Number (ITN)

Option 2*

  1. Obtain an Employee Identification Number (EIN) or DUNS number
  2. Select and authorize a U.S. agent (i.e. Freight Forwarder, Broker, etc.) to file export information to the AES on your behalf
  3. Obtain the ITN from the authorized agent

*For vehicle shipments, be sure to submit your export information to the AES and provide CBP with your ITN 72 hours prior to export.

Non U.S. Residents or Foreign Companies –ONLY –i.e. You are a Canadian resident importing to Canada

Foreign persons visiting the U.S. cannot register to file through AES directly. Therefore, non-U.S. residents must:

1. Select and authorize a U.S. agent (i.e. Freight Forwarder, Broker, etc.) to file export information to the AES on their behalf.

2. Provide the U.S. agent with your foreign passport number (instead of an EIN) and other mandatory data elements

3. Obtain the ITN number from the authorized agent.

To find a U.S. agent or freight forwarder, simply use an internet search engine to locate one.

If you have questions regarding the new requirement, please contact the Regulations, Outreach, and Education Branch at 1-800-549-0595, option #3 or e-mail

This information has been provided courtesy of the NAACC