NAACC Umbrella Insurance Program for Member Clubs
Questions & answers updated for 2021
Here is why you and your club should have insurance:
As a director or member of my car club, would I be liable for any of the following?
Q: If a member of my car club or the public slips and falls and is injured at a place we have rented for meetings or at a park we have permission to use for a Show & Shine or at a Fund-Raising Event, am I liable?
A: Yes, you are responsible and can be sued in all of the above situations, as a Director, Executive Member or simply as a member of your club, by the injured party and if found negligent, pay in some cases, large settlements.
Q: My club is not an official club; we just get together and do things with our cars, would I still be liable?
A: Yes, if you organize or participate in any form of organized event, you could be held liable and could still be held liable even if you were not directly responsible for causing the injury or property damage.
Q: Does this apply if someone gets inebriated and has as accident away from the event site?
A: Yes, the law can hold you contributory negligent in such cases.
Q: If a volunteer falls off a ladder and gets hurt, what is my liability exposure?
A: The injured party can sue the club, Directors and individual members for damages.
Q: If one of our members is a smoker and burns down the hotel where we are staying, what happens then?
A: Your club is both liable, along with the member, for the damage to the rest of the hotel and its patron’s valuables. You are also responsible for any bodily injury.
Q: Can my club and I buy insurance to protect us from this happening?
A: Yes, your club can purchase Directors & Officers Liability insurance to protect Directors, officers, Employees & Volunteers from lawsuits for negligible acts.
As Directors & Officers of the club, you can purchase General Liability Insurance to cover the operations of the club. Such as, Meetings Show & Shines, Fund Raisers etc. Your club can also purchase Tenants Legal Liability for damages you may incur to rental halls, rooms, hotels, restaurants etc. that you may occupy for your activities.
Q: Is this insurance expensive?
A: No, it costs just a few dollars per member to acquire proper legal liability insurance for your club and yourself as a member. The cost is $5.00 per member for three million dollars’ worth of coverage or $6.00 per member for five million dollars of coverage.
Q: Is it worth the money?
A: Let’s put it realistically. Would you like to have to tell your Spouse that “Your Hobby” just cost you your house and any other tangible assets you own? The answer is obvious.
Q: How do I buy this insurance?
A: Simply contact John Carlson (604-931-5948) of the NAACC through your association representative or contact John directly and he will arrange for the appointed Broker @ Reliance Insurance (formerly Pat Anderson Insurance) to provide Special “Lloyd’s of London” coverage.
Some of the many items the policy does cover
- Directors and Officers of every NAACC club will be covered for liability.
- All Club activities and events will be covered including swap meets, garage tours, all meetings, parades, cross country tours etc.
– Tours to the USA are covered. (Must be a published Club Sanctioned Event)
- Every club will have complete coverage for an unlimited number of private activities. If a club holds a major event that is open to the public i.e., Parade, Cross Canada Tour, Swap Meet, mall car show, they will have full unlimited coverage
- All club meetings, garage tours, technical sessions and picnics, including all private club functions, are unlimited. These functions are completely covered regardless of the number of times they are held in a calendar year.
- Unlimited Liquor Liability is covered for private club functions.
- Property damage or total loss to rental facilities covered.
- Third party liability is covered. Tenants Legal Liability for damages you may incur to halls, rooms, hotels, restaurants etc.
- Club members and volunteer’s liability is covered while attending or working on a club function.
- The policy is very extensive and covers many items not listed in this outline.
- Non incorporated or unregistered clubs are welcome.
For further clarification of coverage, please contact:
John Carlson, NAACC President…. 604-931-5948 PST
Reliance Insurance Group
Address: 4853 Hastings St, Burnaby, BC V5C 2L1
Phone: 604-430-8769 (General Inquires)
Commercial Account Manager, handles the NAACC Policy